Pages

Friday 4 March 2016

January Reading

Happy Friday!

This is one of the new posts I am going to be doing monthly as a nice way to track my reading month by month (I do track books read on Pinterest each year) and perhaps introduce readers to a new book along the way!

So in January I read seven books:



Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey was the January Lincon WI book group choice, and although I did not make it to the book group I still read the book and was surprised to enjoy it! Most months I do not particularly enjoy the books, so it is really nice when I do. Very briefly the book is based around Maud who has dementia, and the stories of her sister going missing in the 1940's, and her friend Elizabeth who Maud believes is missing in the present day.

Outcast Volume 2: A Vast and Unending Ruin by Kirkman & Azaceta
Graphic novels are one of my favourite things to indulge in, I love the stories and the artwork, and the innovative story telling. Outcast's main protagonist is Kyle Barnes who has been plagued with demonic possession his entire life. His "sidekick" is Reverend Anderson, and together they are trying to work out just what the hell (excuse the pun) is going on.

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk was something I struggled to get into. I think it was the separate stories within the main story that  was the issue for me. The story is based around a group of writers who sign up to a writer's retreat and they go a bit insane. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was just the short stories, or just the story of the writers. I liked many parts of it but as a whole I found it a bit of a slog.

You by Caroline Kepnes A bit late on the bandwagon (as usual!) but I enjoyed the book a lot. I found that the "victim" was unlikable to a greater extent to the creepy perpetrator Joe whose eyes you see the story through. I liked the stalker's perspective, and going through the story with his twisted view on things. Also makes you want to lock down your social media. Be careful in book stores ladies and gents!

The Collector by John Fowles
was perhaps not the wisest choice to read straight after You! It follows the story of a man who is obsessed with a young woman, and when he comes into some money he kidnaps her thinking she will grow to love him. I loved the first part of the book as told through his eyes, but found the second part as told through the diary of the girl to be a bit irritating. A good read, but the second part could have been better.

Low: The Delirium of Hope by Remender & Tocchini is the first Image release I have found a bit "meh". There is nothing wrong with the story as such, I just didn't go for it personally. It is set in a world where global warming has destroyed the protective ozone layer and humans have had to colonize the depths of the oceans to survive. Spoiler alert: We are still dicks to each other even after all that has happened.

The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson was the February Lincoln WI book group choice. This one I did not like. Even though it is based on historical documents I found it to be a bit preposterous. Thomas Hawkins is a spoilt arse who ends up in the debtors jail "The Marshalsea". There are some spooky goings on and Thomas is forced to get to the bottom of it. I'm not one for historical books, or crime/mystery books, and it seemed to be enjoyed most by those who were a fan of Dickens (I'm not).


So I hope that didn't bore anyone to death! If you have read any of these books/graphic novels let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment